Wednesday, March 31, 2010

on Parenting

One of my favorite parenting books is by Joanne Deak called "GIRLS WILL BE GIRLS" Raising Confident and Courageous Daughters.

Now this may be a book written for and about Girls but having only ONE girl I find the material is quite universal.

Here are the highlights I would like to share:

The DO's

-LOVE WITH NO STRINGS ATTACHED
Basically this is sending the message we all send all the time, I love you.....however making sure it is not attached to an action

-ALLOW AND ACCEPT A RANGE OF BEHAVIOR

-DONT SEE YOUR CHILD AS AN EXTENTION OF YOU, OR AS A POSSESSION

-DONT SET THE MOTIVATION TRAP
Using your connection with a child or-your love-to premeditatedly reinforce pleasing behavior can be insidious in the long run.

I DO, THEREFORE I AM

* CONFIDENT
*COMPETENT
*CONNECTED

These are three very important points you want your children to feel but how?

ATHLETIC DOING, strong bodies , strong minds.......CREATIVE DOING.....mind over Matters...CONNECTED DOING...The feeling of power and contricution and Partnership. Other than Self experiences....

*ENGAGING IN THE WORLD AT LARGE


Enjoy this book and enjoy your day of parenting!

No comments: